WelTec and Whitireia are looking for someone to lead and manage a programme of professional development delivered to academic staff at WelTec and Whitireia Polytechnics.
To support the strategic partnership between Whitireia and WelTec the Academic Directorate is responsible for ensuring that teaching staff have the capability necessary to deliver future-focused approaches to learning design, teaching and assessment that enable our learners to be employment-ready and able to contribute positively to their communities. The Academic Directorate also has responsibility for guiding and monitoring the quality assurance of all academic programmes, and building research capability, particularly in areas of applied research that have direct relevance to our teaching programmes.
Based in the Academic Directorate, the appointee will work closely with Heads of Schools, colleagues and academic staff. The role will be located at either WelTec’s Petone site, Whitireia’s Porirua site or the Wellington site of both institutions with this to be agreed at appointment and expectation of working at each site, as necessary.
The purpose of the position is to lead and manage a professional development programme for academic staff that grows academic leadership, promotes and fosters teaching excellence, and enables staff to deliver flexible programmes to learners that meet their current and future employment needs.
Key Accountabilities are to:
Lead and manage a programme of professional development delivered to academic staff to promote teaching excellence, enhance the quality of teaching delivery, and increase flexible and innovative learning options for learners
- Foster institution-wide commitment to ongoing professional development and interest in advancing teaching knowledge and expertise
- Provide oversight of critical services and support and manage contracts and relationships with service and software providers that support flexible learning
- Lead and manage Teaching Excellence and Flexible Learning staff to ensure that the team remains customer-focused, knowledgeable and capable
- Establish the Teaching Excellence and Flexible Learning team as a key contributor to implementing the strategic objectives of Whitireia and WelTec
We are looking for a candidate with the following skills and qualifications:
- a postgraduate degree in education, preferably with focus on e-learning and/or flexible and innovative approaches to teaching and learning; or equivalent knowledge and experience
- an experienced leader of teacher development in a tertiary setting, familiar with contemporary research-based practice, centred on outcomes for learners
- Knowledge and experience of teacher development and contemporary issues in 21stcentury teaching and learning
- Tertiary teaching experience, ideally in an Institute of Technology or Polytechnic setting
- Experience in development and implementation of flexible learning strategies to broaden opportunities for learners
- Some experience with providing service continuity in management of service delivery platforms.
Applications close 27 May 2018
The vacancy is advertised here.
By Flexible Learning NZ